- Show all
3 Benefits of Air Conditioners
Make cooling your home a breeze with air conditioners from Kohl's! Air conditioners are the best way to ensure that the air in your living space remains refreshingly cool, clean and comfortable. We all love living in total comfort. Our selection of AC units, fans and more is sure to have just what you need to keep you cool in the hot, muggy summer months. But did you know that there are more benefits of air conditioning than just comfort? As an alternative to portable fans, AC units can also provide you and your family with some unexpected health benefits. Here are 3 reasons why air conditioners are beneficial!
1. Air Conditioners Improve Air Quality Conditions
In addition to cleaning your home, AC units keep your indoor air clean. Air conditioners are capable of filtering out pollen, dust and other allergens present in the environment. The absence of microbes, bacteria, and other irritants makes it easier to recover from a cold, allergies, or even the flu. Not to mention, it's a much better environment for those with respiratory issues.
2. Reduced Risk of Heat Stroke
Certain individuals - such as young children, elderly people, and those who suffer from heart or medical conditions - are susceptible to heat-related illnesses. When the body is unable to regulate its temperature in hot environments, it may begin to overheat. Air conditioners are ideal for decreasing air temperatures, thus reducing the chances of a heat stroke in places where heat waves have become a health crisis.
3. Air Conditioners are Less Noisy
In general, doors and windows are closed off to air-conditioned rooms. As a result, less noise enters the room to help keep it cool and quiet. In addition, the noise from air conditioners is typically low, so they maintain their quietness during the day and all throughout the night. Some may even come with their own sound insulator, so you won't hear it working hard to keep you and your family cool.
Types of Air Conditioners
Window Air Conditioner
Keep your house feeling comfortable no matter the weather outside with a window air conditioner.
Pros & Cons
Air Cooler with Remote Control
The Evaporative Air cooler is designed for indoor use in open environments with adequate cross ventilation.
Pros & Cons
Portable Air Conditioner
Plug your AC in and begin cooling any room in your house.
4-in-1 Evaporative Humidifier & Cooler
An air cooler, purifier, fan, and humidifier all in one. This slim tower evaporative cooler provides the perfect cooling solution for small spaces.
Air Conditioner Features to Consider
- Programmable thermostat: A programmable design allows you to specify the unit to keep a certain temperature at certain times of the day. This allows you to use your energy more efficiently and helps minimize costs.
- Automatic timer: A timer is a less costly alternative to a programmable design and allows the unit to function efficiently while you are away. It allows you to set the unit to turn on and off at certain times of the day so you can keep your home cool without running the unit all the time.
- Digital controls: Digital designs give you more precision in selecting a temperature for the room. Most allow you to specify a degree instead of the standard high or low settings on non-digital units.
- Remote control: A unit with a remote allows you to adjust the settings from the couch or across the room for convenience.
- Variable fan speed: The more speed settings your unit has, the more versatility you have in cooling your room.
- Energy saver mode: This mode allows you to save on energy costs by operating the unit at a low setting, perfect for sleeping or use on more tolerable days.
- Easy access filter: Since you will need to replace the filter occasionally over the life of your unit to remove allergens and dust, a slide-out design will make this maintenance easier.
- Motorized louvers: A unit with motorized louvers automatically moves these vents up, down, left or right to help increase air circulation, making your unit more efficient in cooling the room.
Size, Power & Safety
Knowing the size of a room you want to cool will help you choose the right unit for the job. Use our handu chart below to match the square footage of your room to the correct capacity needed.
Source: United States Environmental Protection Agency
Note that these numbers are estimates and there may be factors that affect the number of BTUs a room may require to stay cool.
- About 10% more BTUs may be necessary in a room exposed to direct sunlight
- 10% less BTUs may be needed for a room enjoying constant shade
- If occupied by more than two people, 600 BTUs should be added for each additional person
- A kitchen may require up to 4,000 additional BTUs
AC Unit Safety & Maintenance
When it comes to your family and home, you only want the best. That's why it's important to fully understand air conditioners and how to properly maintain them. Here's what you should know:
- Follow the manufacturer's guidelines when installing your air conditioning unit.
- Make sure to check electrical requirements to confirm your outlet can handle the unit's operation.
- Ask for help in carrying or installing the units in a window or wall.
- Clean your unit's filter on a regular basis to ensure optimal performance.
- Occasionally cleaning the interior of the unit may also be necessary to keep it running well.
- Always unplug the unit before performing any maintenance.
You can also take a look at our air conditioners' product guide for more information and helpful tips.
Kohl's has a wide variety of air conditioning units to choose from, with many different models and well-known brands available, including NewAir air conditioners, Whirlpool air conditioners, and dehumidifiers. Rest assured, you'll find the right option you need to create a comfortable living space. At Kohl's, you know that you can find all the home essential items you need. From bedding and home decor to small appliances and cookware, we have just what you need to make a house a home.
Be sure to shop our full line of home essentials for all of your everyday needs!