- Show all
If you're looking for a simple, yet daring way to enhance your look, try adding a men's necklace to your accessory collection.
When looking for the ideal men's necklace, it's important to understand how to best wear a necklace, as well as what options are available to you. For men, a necklace should typically be a simple complementary piece. It does not need to be too flashy or bulky. It should pair with the outfit you're wearing, and does not have to be the centerpiece of that look.
Next, it's important to research the different styles of men's necklaces and chains to see which best suit your style. Let's take a look at some of the more popular men's necklace options and find the one that's sure to elevate your wardrobe!
Typically reserved for service members for identification purposes, decorative dog tags are entering the world of men's fashion. While actual dog tags feature identifying information, decorative dog tags usually feature a raised pattern or accent. The dog tag portion of the necklace is usually attached to a ball chain.
You can't go wrong with a simple, elegant chain necklace. Available in metals ranging from sterling silver to 14K gold, you're sure to find a chain that matches your ensemble.
Another simple, yet stylish option is the pendant necklace. These options feature a small accent attached to a chain or cord. The small accent or ornament can pretty much be any decorative item (including, but not limited to, crosses, superhero logos, and more), and the chain should be long enough that it places the accent piece below your neck.
No matter which necklace style you choose, it will have a chain made of some type of metal or other material. Chains come in many different forms, so be sure to know which best fits into your wardrobe plans.
- Precious metals
- These types of chains are made to be seen and enjoyed. But keep them simple; too much flash can be overwhelming and distracting.
- Steel ball chains
- Made more for function than fashion, ball chains are designed to simply hold your necklace in place. As such, ball chains are not made to stand out, and are ideal for wearing when your necklace will be completely covered up by your shirt.
- Worn best when paired with casual outfits, a leather cord can add a bit of laid-back style to your look.
Now that we've looked at the material that chains can be made from, let's look at what the proper chain length should be for the different styles of necklaces, and how best to wear them.
- Short necklaces (like chokers) are versatile and can be worn with just about any top. Since they are meant to be fully seen, they work best with a tee or a low-collared shirt.
- Mid-length chains rest at the base of the neck. This length is where you will find most of the non-pendant chain necklaces. All links of a chain like this will be seen when wearing a tee or open-collar shirt.
- Long chains are well-suited for pendant necklaces, as the longer chain places the pendant at the perfect spot below the neck. In order for the pendant to be seen, you'll have to wear a fairly casual outfit that allows a more open neckline area (e.g., a V-neck tee).
Other men's accessories
There are plenty of options for enhancing your look through use of men's accessories. With a classic pair of sunglasses, you can add instant cool to your look. A timeless watch brings elegance to any outfit. When preparing for a formal event, a new tie or cufflinks are sure to elevate your ensemble. Foundational pieces like dress socks can add subtle style as well.
When building your wardrobe, consider all the accessory options you have at your disposal. With traditional pieces like men's necklaces, you can be sure to put together a look that will make a statement.