- Show all
How to Clean Outdoor Rugs
In order to keep your outdoor rugs in good condition, it’s important to clean them from time to time. However, since cleaning outdoor rugs can be tricky, we’re sharing some of our advice on how to clean outdoor rugs. Size, material and a few other factors will help determine the cleaning method you use. Here are some tips on how to clean outdoor rugs:
- Read the rug’s label. The label may include specific instructions on how to clean the rug or additional information (moisture resistance, UV resistance, etc.) about the rug’s design.
- Keep in mind that if your outdoor rug has a rug pad underneath it, the rug pad may require cleaning as well. If you don’t want to clean the rug pad, remove it so that it doesn’t get wet during the cleaning process.
- Vacuum the rug. Vacuuming the rug will help remove dirt, dust and other residue caused by foot traffic.
- After vacuuming, if small amounts of residue remain on the rug, spot clean it. Mix together warm water and a gentle detergent, and dab any spots you see with a wet rag.
- There’s a chance your outdoor rug requires a more thorough cleaning. If this is the case, scrub the entire rug with the detergent mixture until you see the stains begin to lift.
- Due to weather exposure, it’s not uncommon for outdoor rugs to get mold or mildew. If your rug has mold or mildew, you may be able to add a small amount of bleach to your detergent mixture. However, be sure to read your rug’s care guide before using bleach, as bleach has the potential to damage certain materials.
- Rinse the soap from the rug. The amount of water you need will depend on how much detergent you used. Take the rug outside, and use a bucket or a garden hose for this step.
- Let the rug air dry, as a dryer can warp the rug’s synthetic fibers. Place the rug in a sunny spot and allow it to dry naturally.
We hope you found our advice on cleaning outdoor rugs useful. If you would like to shop for outdoor rugs, Kohl’s offers a variety of options, from Mohawk rugs to Artisan rugs to Oriental rugs and more. You may also enjoy exploring additional outdoor home items such as outdoor furniture, outdoor decor and outdoor furniture cushions.