- Show all
Beds for Toddlers
Is your toddler ready to ditch the crib and start sleeping in a big-kid bed? The day that your little one upgrades from a crib to a bed is a huge - but bittersweet - milestone. Give your child the ultimate room with our selection of toddler beds. Our beds help make the transition safe and easy so that your child can rest the whole night through.
When to Make the Transition to a Toddler Bed
There is no specific age at which you must make the transition. Some parents do it as early as 15 months while others wait until kids are around 3 years old. One factor to keep in mind, however, is your child's height. Many parents upgrade to a toddler bed with a side rail once their child gets to be about 35 inches tall. Or, at least when the height of the side rail is less than three-quarters of their height. As a general rule, parents should prepare to make the change before their child can climb out of the crib on their own and possibly hurt themselves.
Here are 4 common signs that your toddler is ready:
- Your child is okay being unsupervised
- Your toddler asks about having a bed of their own
- Your toddler is climbing out of their crib
- Your child expresses negativity toward their crib
Easing the Transition to a Toddler Bed
It's not easy for children to immediately adjust to a toddler bed. They may cry and insist on sleeping in their crib. It can potentially take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for them to get used to their new sleeping quarters. Fortunately, there are ways that you can help them ease into this change:
- Try adding your toddler's favorite toys, blankets, or stuffed animals to the bed
- Consider leaving the crib in the room for a short time
- Establish sleep rules and a night routine
- Take them shopping to pick out special bed sheets and covers
What to Look for in Toddler Beds
Toddler beds typically come in two different styles: a toddler bed that looks like a mini version of a twin bed (often disguised as a racecar, fire truck, or a tent with cartoon graphics), or an actual twin bed. No matter what style you choose, here's what you should look for:
- Side rails to prevent falls
- A sturdy design that withstands wiggling, jumping, and bouncing
- A bed that's low to the ground so that your child can get in out and with ease
- A simple layout free of ornamentation, cutouts or protrusions that could potentially injure a child
Types of Toddler Beds
Turbo Racecar Twin Bed
Toddler Day Bed
3-in-1 Convertible Toddler Bed
Toddler Canopy Bed
Other Essential Items for Toddlers
When a child is comfortable they are free to play, explore, and learn about the world around them. Kohl's offers a wonderful assortment of girls and boys clothing in tons of awesome brands to help your kid feel amazing every day! As you help them make the transition to a toddler bed, keep them warm and cozy with soft toddler pajamas that they can wear every night. If you are looking for an everyday wardrobe staple, kids Levi's are the perfect addition for all-day comfort and style.
Carter's kid's clothing, Jumping Beans kid's clothing, and Under Armour kid's clothing are just a few of the amazing brands that make up our assortment. You can also make outfit shopping a breeze by picking up a set. These kids' and toddlers' clothing sets take the guesswork out of styling! Once you find the perfect clothing essentials for your kiddo, be sure to complete their look with toddler shoes that are both stylish and functional.