Effective Date: January 15, 2021
TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When information identifies or is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you or your household, we refer to it as “personal information.” Kohl's collects personal information from you and about you. This may include:
- Identifying Information. For example, we may collect your name, unique personal identifier, online identifier, mailing address, email address, postal address and telephone number, including your mobile phone number.
- Commercial and Payment Information. For example, we may collect your credit card number and billing address. We may also collect information about the products or services purchased, obtained, considered or returned, as well as other purchasing or consuming histories, behaviors or tendencies.
- Social Media Information. We may collect information you post on our social media pages. We may also collect your social media profile information.
- Event Information. For example, we may collect the date and location of an event you are registered for.
- Information You Post or Submit. For example, we may collect information when you contact us through the “Live Chat” feature on our site. We may also collect information submitted in connection with creating an account, completing an application, placing an order or making a purchase, including bank account numbers or other financial information. We may collect information you post in a public space on our site. This may include our Ratings & Reviews feature.
- Demographic Information. For example, we may collect your age, gender and zip code.
- Driver's License Information. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may collect your driver's license information. For example, we may collect this information if you return an item without a receipt.
- Device Information. For example, we may collect the type of device you use to access our Platforms. It may also include your device identification number, browser, IP address or mobile operating system.
- Location Information. For example, we may collect precise location information from your device. This may include your in-store location. For more information about your choices related to location information, see the Choices section below.
- Internet or other Network Activity Information. For example, we may collect information related to your browsing history, search history and other information regarding your interactions with our Platforms or advertisements.
- Usage Information. We may look at how you interact with the Platforms. If you use our app, we may look at how often you use the app and where you downloaded it.
- Biometric Information. If you visit our stores, we may capture audio, electronic, visual, thermal or similar information with our surveillance equipment.
- Inferences. We collect profile inferences that we draw from your information and web activity to create a personalized profile so we can better identify goods and services that may be of interest.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Kohl's collects personal information in different ways and from different sources.
Directly From You. For example, when you:
- Make a purchase in our Stores or on our Platform.
- Make a return or exchange.
- Purchase an electronic gift card.
- Create a personalized Kohls.com shopping account.
- Track an order online.
- Sign up to receive promotional emails or text messages (including offers and sales alerts).
- Sign up to join a loyalty, rewards or similar program or club.
- Provide your contact information to our beauty associates.
- Participate in one of our promotional sweepstakes, contests, surveys or focus groups.
- Create or update a gift registry.
- Use the Ratings & Reviews or related services and features.
- Submit a request to our Customer Service team.
- Sign up for, and/or maintain, a Kohl's Charge card.
- Connect your social media account to the Platforms.
- Interact with Kohl's social media pages.
Passively. For example, when you:
- Install and use Kohl's mobile apps.
- Visit and navigate Kohl's Platforms on any device.
- Enable location-based features on our Platforms.
- Click on sponsored links or third-party advertisements.
- Use the Wi-Fi Services provided in some Stores.
- Visit Stores; Kohl's uses cameras in and around its Stores for security, operational and other business purposes such as understanding customer behavior and patterns.
- Receive or interact with Kohl's communications and Platforms that may contain cookies or pixels.
From Third Parties. We may receive information about you from other sources. For example, this may include receiving information from:
- Our business partners, including online advertising networks and companies that co-sponsor our promotions.
- Social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram.
- Trusted third party sources, such as our service providers, data analytics companies, and tracking technologies to better provide and customize the Platforms for you.
- Companies that provide information to supplement what we already know about you, including data brokers.
By Combining Information. For example, we may:
- Combine information that we collect in our stores with information we collect through our Platforms.
- Combine information we collect about you from the different devices you use to access our Platforms.
- Combine information we get from third parties with information we already have about you.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Examples of how we may use your personal information include:Business Purposes:
- To Provide Our Products and Services. This could include fulfilling your requests for products or services. It could also include processing purchases or return transactions.
- To Improve Our Products and Services. We may use your information to make our Platforms and stores better. We may also use your information to customize your experience with us.
- To Understand Your Interests. For example, we may use your information to better understand what products interest you based on information we collect about you and your household.
- To Respond to Your Requests or Questions. This may include responding to your customer feedback.
- For Security Purposes. This could include protecting our company and our customers, including providing notifications to customers of any security incidents related to personal information. It may also include protecting our Platforms.
- For Marketing Purposes. We may provide you with information about new products and special offers. We may use your information to serve you ads about products and offers on our Platforms or on third-party websites and networks. We may tell you about new features or updates. These might be third-party offers or products we think you might find interesting. For more information about your choices related to these communications, see the Choices section below.
- To Send Push Notifications. If you use our mobile apps, we may send you push notifications about new products or special offers.
- Aggregate or Anonymous Non-Personal Information. We may also use aggregate or anonymous (de-identified) information and share such information with third parties for their marketing or analytics uses. Such information does not contain personal information.
- As Otherwise Permitted By Law or As We May Notify You. We may also use information you provide to us for other purposes as disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Information Shared By You
Information Shared By Us
We may share your information in the following ways:
- Internally. We may share your information within the Kohl's family of companies. This includes our affiliates.
- With Our Service Providers. We may share your information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, this may include merchandise vendors and payment processors. It may also include companies that send emails on our behalf.
- With Our Business Partners. For example, this may include third parties that provide financial products and services related to our business, including Kohl's Charge credit card. It may also include a third party that co-sponsors a contest or promotion.
- With Third Parties for Marketing Purposes. This may include third parties in whose products or services we believe you may be interested. These third parties may also share your information with others. These third parties may use your information for their own marketing purposes or the marketing purposes of others. This may include the delivery of interest-based advertising, which serves you advertisements based on your interests and activities on the internet.
- With Any Successors to All or Part of Our Business. For example, if Kohl's merges with, acquires or is acquired by another business entity. This may include an asset sale, corporate reorganization or other change of control.
- To Comply With the Law or To Protect Ourselves. For example, this could include responding to a court order or subpoena. It could also include sharing information if a government agency or investigatory body requests. We may share information when we are investigating a potential fraud. This could include fraud we think has occurred during a sweepstakes or promotion. We may also share information if you are the winner of a sweepstakes or other contest with anyone who requests a winner's list.
- For Other Reasons We May Describe to You. We may also share your information for other purposes as disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Notice of Collection of Personal Information:
Kohl’s collects personal information as described above under “Types of Personal Information We Collect” for the business and commercial purposes described above under “How We Use Your Personal Information.” California residents can find out more information about their privacy rights below, including a description of California residents’ right to opt out (further explained, below, and linked here).
Access and Deletion Rights
If you reside in California, then you have the following rights:
You have the right to request us to disclose to you, no more than twice in a 12-month period, the personal information about you that Kohl's collects, uses, discloses, and sells during the preceding 12 months, which shall include as follows:
- The categories of personal information that we've collected and sold about you, or shared for a business purpose with our service providers.
- The sources from which we collected such information.
- The third parties with whom we've shared that personal information and to whom we've sold that personal information.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we've collected about you.
You also have the right to request that we delete any personal information that we have collected from or about you. Note that there are some reasons we will not be able to fully address your request, such as if we need to complete a transaction for you, to detect and protect against fraudulent and illegal activity, to exercise our rights, for our internal purposes, or to comply with a legal obligation.
To take advantage of these access or deletion rights, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 855-219-9265, or by visiting the link listed in the How to Contact Us section. We may request certain information to verify your identity before we can respond to your access and deletion requests. We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 business days and will respond to your request within 45 calendar days, after proper verification, unless we need additional time, in which case we will let you know.
Categories of Personal Information Disclosed
As relevant to the requests noted above, in the last 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose (such as with our service providers who are restricted from using your personal information outside the scope of their services for us):
- Identifying Information, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as billing service providers, email/SMS service providers, and customer service and intelligence platforms;
- Commercial and Payment Information, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as billing service providers, customer service and intelligence platforms, network security and fraud protection services, and campaign optimization service providers;
- Event Information, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as email/SMS service providers, customer service and intelligence platforms, and campaign optimization service providers;
- Demographic Information, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as billing service providers, email/SMS service providers, and customer service and intelligence platforms;
- Device Information, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as network security and fraud protection services, campaign optimization service providers, and cloud data storage providers;
- Location Information, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as email/SMS service providers, customer service and intelligence platforms, network security and fraud protection services, campaign optimization service providers, and cloud data storage providers;
- Internet or other Network Activity Information, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as customer service and intelligence platforms, network security and fraud protection services, campaign optimization service providers, and cloud data storage providers;
- Usage Information, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as billing service providers, email/SMS service providers, customer service and intelligence platforms, network security and fraud protection services, campaign optimization service providers, and cloud data storage providers; and
- Inferences from the above, disclosed to our Service Providers, such as billing service providers, email/SMS service providers, customer service and intelligence platforms, network security and fraud protection services, campaign optimization service providers, and cloud data storage providers
In addition to access and deletion rights, you may request to opt out of the sale of your personal information to third parties, and to our affiliated companies that do not share the same brand name, for their commercial use. This means that, if you opt out, going forward, we will not share your personal information with such third parties to use for their purposes unless you later direct us to do so. To effect the opt out, please click on the Do Not Sell My Personal Information link here, which also is on our website footer.
Categories of Personal Information Sold
As relevant to opt out rights, in the last 12 months, we have sold the following categories of personal information:
- Identifying Information, sold to our Business Partners and Third Parties for Marketing Purposes, such as with data analytics providers, and social media platforms;
- Payment and Commercial Information, sold to Business Partners and Third Parties for Marketing Purposes, such as with data analytics providers, and social media platforms;
- Device Information, sold to Business Partners and Third Parties for Marketing Purposes, such as with internet service providers, data analytics providers, and social media platforms;
- Location Information, sold to Business Partners and Third Parties for Marketing Purposes, such as with internet service providers, data analytics providers, and social media platforms; and
- Internet/Network Activity, sold to Business Partners and Third Parties for Marketing Purposes, such as with internet service providers, data analytics providers, and social media platforms.
We do not knowingly sell personal information about persons under the age of 16.
You may authorize someone to make a privacy rights request on your behalf (an authorized agent). Authorized agents will need to demonstrate that you've authorized them to act on your behalf, and that they are registered with the California Secretary of State to conduct business in California, or must demonstrate they have power of attorney pursuant to applicable probate law. We retain the right to request confirmation directly from you confirming that the agent is authorized to make such a request, or to request additional information to confirm the agent's identity. An authorized agent is prohibited from using a consumer's personal information, or any information collected from or about the consumer, for any purpose other than to fulfill the consumer's requests, for verification, or for fraud prevention.
CHILDREN UNDER 16
The Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our sites will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when using the Internet. We use reasonable means to safeguard personal information under our control. A user id and a password are needed to access certain areas of the Kohl's Platforms. It is your responsibility to protect your username and password.
STORAGE OF INFORMATION
Information we maintain may be stored in the United States. If you live outside of the United States, you understand and agree that we may transfer your personal information to the United States. This site is subject to U.S. laws, which may not provide the same level of protections as those in your own country.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you wish to contact us to update your information, please feel free to contact us by telephone at 866-887-8884.
If you wish to contact us to submit a request under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, please feel free to contact us by telephone at 855-219-9265, by email at email@example.com or click here.
You may also write to us at the following address:
P.O. Box 3043
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201
CHOICES REGARDING YOUR INFORMATION
You have certain choices about how we use your information.
- Use the unsubscribe link on any Kohl's promotional emails.
Text Messages & Mobile Coupons:
- Follow the opt-out instructions provided in our text message or mobile coupon.
Mobile Application and Location Based Services:
- If you have previously opted into Kohl's collection and use of location-based information through our mobile application, you may opt-out by adjusting the Settings on your mobile device.
- You may opt-out of all location-based information collection on our mobile apps by uninstalling the Kohl's mobile application and refraining from using Kohl's Wi-Fi Services available in Stores.
- To be removed from our global marketing mailing lists, send your request, including your full name and mailing address, to
PO Box 3120
Milwaukee, WI 53201
- Call Customer Service at (866) 887-8884
Cookies & Similar Technologies:
CHANGES IN POLICY
From time to time, we may change our Policy. We will notify you of any material changes to our Policy as required by law. We will also post an updated copy on our Platforms. Please check our Platforms periodically for updates.
©2021 Kohl's, Inc. All rights reserved.